Sunday, December 1, 2013

Beckmas

I have a wintry, holidayish Christmas playlist that I've been nurturing along in Spotify for over two years. I've held off listening to it until today so it would be fresh. I wanted to share it with y'all if you are into Spotify.

Bruce Cockburn's version of "Mary Had A Baby" came on just now, and I had a vision of myself sitting in our little apartment in San Jose, the winter I was pregnant with Laura, listening to that song on Napster (yes children!) and rocking in my rocking chair. I remember that particular season, my applications were in for doctoral programs, though I hadn't started yet, and of course I didn't have a baby yet, and we were new in town. I had truly nothing to do. I taught an SAT prep course around the corner. I read a lot, I think. And I don't know what else. I would meet Matt for dinner at the Valley Fair mall. Or I would go there and walk around.

 I wrote about that apartment before, God, that place was a disaster. But we were happy there, it's a good memory. The people keep a comin' but the train done gone.

Anyway, the list has about 4 hours of music on it, which should see you through lots and lots of wassailing.

Really the song that would be most appropriate for memories of that apartment would be James Brown's "Santa Claus, Go Straight To The Ghetto." Also on the list!

Enjoy with love from me!


7 comments:

Amy said...

Awesome! Happy Beckmas, y'all! I'm excited cause now I can use spotify...before it was US only. Excited to hear your playlist!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, yes! I remember your wonderful song list on Spotify. Thank you for reminding me of it. And I'm very impressed that you knew about Napster back then -- I certainly didn't.

Justine said...

Yes to the way x-mas music--maybe more than any other tunes-- makes us nostalgic for the old days.

I love this list! I started listening again last week. Love that you put the Kinks on it. But I will never be able to hear Michael Buble again without thinking of his SNL skit. In that vein, might I recommend Robert Goulet's "Have yourself a merry little Christmas"? We get a good chuckle when he croons "miles awaaaaaayyyy." That is, if you could be persuaded to do some ironic music listening.

Common Household Mom said...

I usually avoid Christmasy music, except for hymns and carols, but now that I know Bruce Cockburn did a Christmas album, I'm in. Thanks for the list!

Aimee said...

I thought that read, "While rowing on a winter's night." Seriously, rowing Christmas music? AWESOME.

Oh.

Anonymous said...

You still have to have a Facebook account to play Spotify? I'm going to laugh all night.

adam clean said...

من افضل واقوى الشركات التي تقدم خدمات مكافحة حشرات المنزل البق والصراصير والنمل والعته تلك التي تستخدم مبيدات آمنة وفعالة ومضمونة مثل افضل شركه مكافحه حشرات بجده التي تتعامل في مكافحة الحشرات وتستخدم مبيدات آمنة ومضمونة