Monday, November 19, 2012

In Which I Win at Flea Markets

swan pillow
Noble. And Dignified. Like Louis!

Yesterday morning at my brother and sister-in-law's place, a movement arose to venture out to a local flea market. This flea market promised many delights. "They have pigs and goats!" Kate said. I was like, "I'm in." And Laura was way in. She loves looking through junk even more than I do. Hank wasn't feeling that great, he had a cold, so I threw Matt a lifeline and asked him if he would mind staying home with him. One thing I've learned about Matt in seventeen years of marriage is that he would rather be kicked straight in the throat than go to a flea market.

So we made our way up and down and looked at everything. Laura was in high spirits, because she knew it was a virtual certainty that money would be spent on her. And after I shook my head to a counterfeit North Face jacket and some disgusting cowboy boots, she lit upon a little doll chest with a cut glass knob. Mom found a Russel Wright cream pitcher for a quarter. It's exactly the same as the cream pitcher I found last year--the kind that's supposed to sit on a matching sugar bowl. WHERE ARE THE SUGAR BOWLS? Katie bought a little piece of needlepoint and some Amish cheese. Dad bought a green army blanket that must be the missing piece in his surely now-complete army blanket collection. I didn't see anything I wanted. I eyed a Frankoma serving tray in the shape of Texas. If it had been in the shape of a state where I'd ever lived, I might have bought it. But nah.

Finally we were on the way out and I saw that stuffed swan guy sitting on the ground. It tinkled some key of memory somewhere--I remember seeing patterns for these animal pillows in the fabric store when I was a kid. I turned this one over and he was clearly home stuffed and sewn. And he has a little label that says, "Wild Swan." I looked at the man in the booth, and he held up one finger. I was like, "Oh for one dollar, this is ALL MINE." Laura cheered me on. When I rejoined the rest of our group with this bird under my arm, I'm sure it was the least surprised they've ever been. I said, "I had to get this, I can't really answer any questions about it." And Kate said, "Yeah, I don't know why, but that's just you all over."

On the way home, we wondered what Matt would say when he saw my special find. Dad went with, "Really?" And I predicted something like, "Well I'm glad we got THAT finally." But when I walked in and placed the swan on the coffee table, what he actually said was, "Oh no, no, no, no, no!" Dad goes, "Nobody had that in the pool." And Matt closed his eyes for a minute. I don't know if he was tired or what. And then when we were packing the car to go, he insisted on calling it a goose. And that's just hurtful! A goose, really.

So I don't know, like my owl lamp, I couldn't just leave it there. I love animal motifs, but I am also trying to rid our house of clutter. Which makes this purchase an odd move. I may decorate it for Christmas and stick it under the tree. Or I may put it under the covers on Matt's side of the bed tonight. Or in the driver's seat of his car. So many fun possibilities!


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like it! I would say when you're done with it, you can send it to me, but way up here in the densely-populated NE Corridor, any one of we four could have lingered at that for a second and our shop-buddy would say, "Bedbugs. Bedbugs!" And we would resign ourselves to say goodbye, never touching it.

Nina said...

Obviously for Christmas you need seven of those. Shame it isn't a goose, really - then you'd only have to find five more.

Lisa Lilienthal said...

Matt's reaction = priceless!

delaine said...

It was a great find, despite Matt's reaction. Who could've resisted Louis for a buck? Now, where'd he put his trumpet? Now I'm looking for a matching sugar bowl...

Shannon said...

Glad you guys had a good time. Haunted buildings and stuffed tormenting devices. What COULD be better? :)
My Grandma had a similarly shaped stuffed animal (who really was a goose) that she dressed for every season/holiday. That thing had more outfits and costumes than some children but was also more accurate than a calendar. Just sayin'...

I share in your sugar bowl search. My philosophy is that either they break first or people don't realize they go together.

AlGalMom said...

This could be the SubMat counterpart to Beyonce the Chicken.

Common Household Mom said...

I have a similarly stuffed turkey pillow, which is my sole Thanksgiving decoration. It causes no end of delight and delightful pranks among my children, nieces, and nephews. I'd say you got yourself an heirloom. An heirloom which is begging to be decorated.

Becky said...

A turkey, yes! That's what I'll be on the lookout for. Along with six more swans of course.

KrisT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KrisT said...

Maybe you should have him read this: http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/ It might make him a little more appreciative of your taste :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm thinking there's a swan in that insufferable Christmas song -- The Twelve Days of Christmas -- maybe you could find the rest of the characters through Etsy?

I actually LOVE that swan. You scored.